WHAT IS THIS?
FocusPulling is a gathering place for filmmakers. Some of our best moments get spent collaborating with people on shoots and sets, but most of our creative time, we’re sitting in front of machines. Connecting with each other on social media, video sites, and blogs, we can still keep the collaborative energy going: learning, sharing, and making connections. You might already have a short list of places to go for that — and I hope you’ll include this one after taking a look.
Over a few years slowly growing, this domain has been an index to numerous communities within the FocusPulling family: from camera-specific user groups, to DOCOFILM. Still in that spirit, the heart of this site is at the fly-out menu above called CAMERA USER GROUPS. There, you can find the camera you use (or the one you’re interested in), and choose USER VIDEOS. Powered by Vimeo, this wall of videos is a great way to see the most recent results from folks using that gear. And if you’re a content creator, it’s a great way to get more exposure, and increase your play counts. From each group, everything gets published out to respective Twitter and Facebook accounts, too. I’ve created a video showing the steps for getting your clip into the queue, and it’s always available at the first slot on each USER VIDEOS page, or to the right of this site at the sidebar.
Apart from the core user groups, I do my best to deliver the day’s most important news “on the art and technology of filmmaking.” So the home page is the BLOG of everything, which you can filter down at its menu into ORIGINAL CONTENT (reviews, videos and articles written just for this site), news VIA THE WEB (highlights from the blogosphere), featured NEWS STREAM, and FEATURED VIDEOS (helpful clips scooped up from my daily surf).
RIGSHOTS is a fun social gallery for sharing shots of your camera rigs. Instructions for this easy Twitter-based feature are explained at the page.
A couple of bonus features include ADOBE PREMIERE TIPS, an ongoing collection from around the Web, and something called DOCOFILM. Merged into the FocusPulling family, DOCOFILM.com is the best round-up of quality news from the Web about — you guessed it — the art and technology of documentary films. Documentaries have special meaning at FocusPulling, because I make them.
WHERE ELSE IS IT?
On Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Vimeo, YouTube and Pinterest. That’s a lot, but the fact is, we all have reasons for choosing one social network over another, so please follow wherever you like, knowing that they’re all fed equally from here.
To make these connections, I’ve discreetly installed some pop-ups at this site, but if they behave in the way that they’re supposed to, when you do something in it or just close the box, it should remember not to bother you again. Sorry if this isn’t your cup of tea, but I hear it’s a survival tactic in the evolving Web.
WHAT’S THE POINT?
Apart from finally bringing together the large user group communities, this site arrives after a few years roaming around the Web, thinking about what this site should look like, and what it should do for the people who use it. Speaking for myself, I don’t like graphic-heavy layouts, especially big slide shows on front pages that simply stress you out. Easy navigation with good organization is really important, and I’ve tried to keep it simple. Meanwhile, even though one ad box is one too many, when you do buy something through the sidebar, or the bottom of the USER VIDEOS pages, it costs you nothing while also supporting this site, and it all goes straight back into filmmaking. While keeping ads to a minimum, I sometimes publish deal alerts into the social streams, simply driven by the excitement to share an awesome deal. You can see the latest from the DEALS menu item, and camera-specific ones in each respective camera user group’s NEWS & DEALS.
WHAT ABOUT PRIVACY AND ETHICS?
FocusPulling uses WordPress for comments, a great way for you to track your comments and maintain accountability, so please take a moment to set up a profile with them if you haven’t already. Public comments about the site are welcomed at the end of this page, too. There’s no bright line, but interaction here is a balance between free speech, and not being a jerk. What’s new?
The reviews here are truly independent, and never influenced by manufacturers or retailers. Although product and retailer references here may include affiliate links that could result in nominal revenue to help support these site operations, they will never have any effect upon the impartiality of this site. Simply put, if a product doesn’t work right, or costs too much, I always complain, and that won’t change.
- Visit our website at https://www.focuspulling.com
- Engage with us in other related ways ― including any sales, marketing, or events
- “Website,” we are referring to any website of ours that references or links to this policy
- “Services,” we are referring to our Website, and other related services, including any sales, marketing, or events
express an interest in obtaining information about us or our products and Services, when you participate in activities on the Website
(such as by posting messages in our online forums or entering competitions, contests or giveaways) or otherwise when you contact us.
, the choices you make and the products and features you use. The personal information we collect may include the following:
- Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Website and which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type and settings and information about your activity in the Website (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings).
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet or other device you use to access the Website. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system and system configuration information.
- Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Website. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location (based on your IP address). You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location setting on your device. Note however, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
- To facilitate account creation and logon process. If you choose to link your account with us to a third-party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), we use the information you allowed us to collect from those third parties to facilitate account creation and logon process for the performance of the contract.
- To post testimonials. We post testimonials on our Website that may contain personal information. Prior to posting a testimonial, we will obtain your consent to use your name and the content of the testimonial. If you wish to update, or delete your testimonial, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your name, testimonial location, and contact information.
- Request feedback. We may use your information to request feedback and to contact you about your use of our Website.
- To enable user-to-user communications. We may use your information in order to enable user-to-user communications with each user’s consent.
- To manage user accounts. We may use your information for the purposes of managing our account and keeping it in working order.
- To send administrative information to you. We may use your personal information to send you product, service and new feature information and/or information about changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To protect our Services. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To enforce our terms, conditions and policies for business purposes, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or in connection with our contract.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- Fulfill and manage your orders. We may use your information to fulfill and manage your orders, payments, returns, and exchanges made through the Website.
- Administer prize draws and competitions. We may use your information to administer prize draws and competitions when you elect to participate in our competitions.
- To deliver and facilitate delivery of services to the user. We may use your information to provide you with the requested service.
- To respond to user inquiries/offer support to users. We may use your information to respond to your inquiries and solve any potential issues you might have with the use of our Services.
- To send you marketing and promotional communications. We and/or our third-party marketing partners may use the personal information you send to us for our marketing purposes, if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences. For example, when expressing an interest in obtaining information about us or our Website, subscribing to marketing or otherwise contacting us, we will collect personal information from you. You can opt-out of our marketing emails at any time (see the “WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS?” below).
- Deliver targeted advertising to you. We may use your information to develop and display personalized content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) tailored to your interests and/or location and to measure its effectiveness.
- Consent: We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose.
- Legitimate Interests: We may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests.
- Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of our contract.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- Log in to your account settings and update your user account.
- Contact us using the contact information provided.
- Access your account settings and update your preferences.
- Contact us using the contact information provided.